Keepmoving Services > Moving Tips
Our Keepmoving Moving and Packing Tips will save you time and money!
Looking for moving and packing advice from experts? We’ve spent years collecting tips and tricks to save you money and improve your moving experience!
- Make your reservations for movers two to four weeks before your move day.
- For large appliances be sure to check your owner’s manuals to see if there are special instructions for moving.
- Don’t try to get rid of your children’s favorite things before the move – even if it makes it easier. Kids sometimes have a hard time dealing with the change of the move itself.
- By law, a moving company can’t transport hazardous materials such as gasoline, bottled gases and other flammables, ammunition and explosives.
- Pack a box of essential items that you will need immediately after the move and make sure it’s the last thing added to the truck.
- Clean out closets, the attic, and the basement as soon as you decide it’s time to move.
- Make a “survival closet” of things for the last cleanup before you move out – broom, dust cloth, dust pan, mop.
- Remember to get snacks for move day.
- Schedule disconnect times for about a week before your move day — you don’t want to have to pay for cable, phone and utilities when you aren’t even there!
- Cancel newspapers, cable, pest control, cleaning help, lawn services about a week before the move.
- Mail in your change of address forms about week before your move date.
- Clean your stove before you move out.
- The day before your move, defrost the fridge.
- Make sure to get enough cash to get you through move day.
- Take time to say goodbye to friends and neighbors before your busy move day.
- If you are depending on friends and family to help you move, have a back-up plan if they don’t show.
- Avoid mixing items from different rooms in the same box.
- Use wardrobe boxes to make closets easier to pack. Clothes in drawers can be placed in suitcases.
- Use only small boxes for books. They get very heavy, very fast.
- Never use printed newsprint to wrap fine china.
- Always stack dishes upwards when packing.
- Pack important and sentimental documents separately to be easily accessible including: children’s health records, passports, family records, insurance information and photo albums.
- Remember: the heavier the item, the smaller the box.
- Don’t pack with food or supermarket boxes. You never know what little critter is hiding – or if the box will be strong enough to support your possessions.
- Don’t use used boxes. You don’t know if the box will be strong enough to support your possessions.
- Never use duct tape – use packing tape.
- Clearly label all boxes on top and side.
- As you take apart furniture and other items make sure to tape all parts to the main base.
- Try to pack all electronic equipment, like stereos in their original boxes. Otherwise use bubble wrap when packing these items.
- Start packing items you will not need ahead of time.
- Always pack and unpack breakables over a padded surface.
- Always tape boxes. Don’t interlock the tops.
- Don’t use boxes without tops. No tops make it impossible to stack properly in the truck.
- Use custom-designed boxes when packing fine china and clothing.
We are movers and have other valued services for our clients. Our Packing Services provides you with packing materials prior to your move such as: Strong boxes, hanging clothes boxes, wine boxes, tape, bubble-wrap, wrapping paper etc. Please request our electricians and plumbers services to make sure your belongings are safely disconnected and reconnected, our moving services will take care of logistically relocating those items, so you have No stress! No fuss! No! Hassle! making your move a happy and relaxed one!
BACK to > Resource Centre